Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Confirmation Class

It's November 18th, around 9:30 am,and to borrow a line from an old childhood movie, it's colder than a witches' tittie outside. A perfect Vermont day to share some Finnish evil with you. Rippikoulu, Finnish for "Confirmation Class", were a punk band,I hear, once upon a time.By the time these recordings reared their heads, around '92 or '93, the only thing remotely punk about them was their Crusty looking logo. "Musta Seremonia",their 2nd demo, is part "funeral doom" not so different than their country mates Thergothon or Skepticism, mixed with some thrashy moments and a few mid paced riffs thrown in once in a while.
Back tracking a bit....around 2001, when I had decided to stick around Long Beach,CA for a while, people always were telling me to check out this record store in Downey, CA called "Dark Realm" that specialized in predominantly Black Metal and Death Metal. I took my time getting around to it and sure enough one morning woke up and decided I couldn't live without Bethlehem's "Dictius Te Necare" album. So off I went to the train towards Downey and made my way to Dark Realm. Now I have no idea if the place is still open but back then they had an amazing selection of demos to choose from, all cheaply priced. I, by total accident, picked up two gems that I still absolutely love today: Musta Seremonia and Thergothon's "Fhtagn Nagh Yog Sothoth" demo. While sometime soon, I will post everything I have by Thergothon, today I want you all to have these Rippikoulu demos.
Musta Seremonia is the one you all have to hear. On the other hand, Mutaation Aiheuttama Sisainen Mataneninem, while interesting to die hard fans, it probably won't come off as too charming to the rest of you.
So all you "Punks" that think you don't like metal but really have never given it a chance, today is the day to reconsider.

Musta Seremonia (1993)


M.A.S.M. Demo (1992)


and you know what.....Fuck It, since it is so fucking cold outside and some of you probably aren't gonna go brave it anyway, here is that Thergothon demo I spoke of earlier.

Thergothon Demo


If any of you enjoy this kind of thing, I recommend that you go ahead and visit Dumah. It's one hell of a resource and it is a great place to catch up on all the Metal you've been missing in life. The sheer mass of bands and albums here is a bit intimidating at first but when you weed through some of the crap, you'll be going back for more.......................................Troy

3 comments:

Aesop said...

Dark Realm rules. It is owned by the guys in Sadistic Intent. I have spent many a day and more than a few dollars there.

Anonymous said...

You know, I told you of how I normally didn't dig the low guttural moan stuff but I actually really like this!
Especially when the speed picks up, it's pretty cool stuff!

I'd like to give another listen to They Fear The Reclaim sometime, too!
Do you have any of it on your computer??
-Steve

Anonymous said...

ive been listening to this nonstop